Moong Dal Savoury
Recipe type: Breakfast
This savoury is very easy to make and great to serve for breakfast or even for parties.
- For The Batter
- ¾ cup yellow moong dal (split yellow gram)
- 2 tbsp fresh curds (dahi)
- 4 green chillies , roughly chopped
- salt to taste
- a pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tbsp besan (bengal gram flour)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- For The Green Peas Topping
- 1¼ cups boiled and mashed green peas
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 1 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- oil for cooking
- For Serving
- green chutney
- sweet chutney
- For the batter
- Soak the dal for at least 2 to 3 hours and drain well.
- Combine the soaked dal, curds, green chillies and ¼ cup of water and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste.
- Add the salt, asafoetida, besan and baking powder and mix gently. Keep aside.
- For the green peas topping:
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the green peas, salt and green chillies, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the dried mango powder and coriander and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- How to proceed:
- Heat a greased non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it using a little oil.
- Pour a spoonful of the batter on the tava (griddle) and spread in a circular motion to make a 75 mm. (3”) diameter circle.
- Spread a little stuffing on it and press it gently.
- Cook on a slow flame for 1 to 2 minutes
- Turn it upside down and cook again for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture and stuffing to make 11 more savories.
- Serve hot with green chutney and sweet chutney.
Prepare green peas stuffing 1 day in advance.