Recipe type: Breakfast
A versatile ingredient "nachni" is rich in protein, fibre, iron and calcium. It is unusual in taste but very nutritious, so make sure you try it atleast once. This healthy snack is a good way to keep yourself away from calorie laden snacks like samosas, vadas etc.
- 2 tbsp fresh curds (dahi) , mixed with 2 cups of water
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 2 pinches of soda bi-carb
- ¼ tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 2 cups ragi (nachni / red millet) flour
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 2 tsp oil for serving
- Put the curds-water mixture in a deep non-stick pan, add the salt, cumin seeds, chilli powder, asafoetida, soda bi- carb and green chillies, mix well and boil on a high flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the red millet flour and mix well, while stirirng continously.
- Cover and cook on a slow flame for another 8 to 10 minutes or till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan, stirring once in between.
- Add the corriander, mix well and divide it into 4 equal portions.
- Drizzle ½ tsp of oil on each portion and serve immediately.
You can make a flavoured oil with 4 tsp oil, 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic and 1 tsp chilli powder and serve with the upma.