Saggubiyyam (Sabudana) Roti
Recipe type: Breakfast
Sago / Sabudana is soaked in water till it softens. Rice flour is mixed with soaked sago along with chopped onion and spices. The dough is then spread on a deep pan or flat pan and cooked on low flame till done. Serve sago rotti with any pickle of your choice.
- Sago ¾ Cup
- Rice Flour 5 – 7 Tbsps
- Onion 1 Small
- Green Chiles 1 – 2
- Cilantro Few Sprigs
- Cumin Seeds a huge Pinch
- Salt to Taste
- Oil 1 tsp
- Wash sago with fresh water and soak in enough water for around 2 hours.
- Press sago between fingers and it shouldn’t feel hard.
- Strain the sago and keep aside.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Remove stems, wash and finely chop the green chiles.
- Wash and finely chop the cilantro leaves.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together soaked sago, rice flour, green chiles, cilantro, cumin seeds and salt with sufficient amount of water if required.
- Knead the mixture into soft dough.
- Divide the dough into two portions.
- Heat a small wok or appam pan or flat pan on medium low heat.
- Apply quarter tsp of oil and place a portion of sago rice flour mixture on the pan.
- Carefully spread the mixture with wet fingers into somewhat thick roti.
- Pour few drops of oil around the sabudana rotti.
- Cook covered on low flame for around 5 minutes and remove the lid.
- Simmer and let the sago rice flour rotti crisp up for few minutes on both sides.
- Remove the sago rotti onto a plate and repeat the same procedure with remaining portion of the mixture.
- Serve sago rotti with any pickle of your choice.
Make sure sago is soaked well. Suggestions: If sago is not soaked well, add more water and leave it aside for another half an hour.