sesame veg toast recipe
Recipe type: Breakfast
sesame veg toast – indo chinese starter snack of crisp, golden fried toast stuffed with veggies and topped with sesame.
- for the veg filling:
- 1 small to medium carrot, finely chopped – approx ½ cup finely chopped carrot
- 8-10 french beans, finely chopped – approx ¼ cup finely chopped beans
- 1 medium potato, boiled – approx ½ cup of mashed potato
- 1 small capsicum, green bell pepper – ¼ cup finely chopped capsicum
- 1 small to medium onion – ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp chopped celery or coriander
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tbsp naturally fermented soy sauce or as required
- 2 to 3 tbsp sesame seeds or as required
- salt and black pepper as required
- for the cornstarch solution:
- 3 tbsp cornflour/corn starch
- 2 to 3 tbsp water
- other ingredients:
- 4-5 slices of bread, white, brown or whole wheat
- oil for shallow frying or deep frying
- boil the potato and then mash it. parboil the carrots and beans. finely chop them it.
- also finely chop the onions, capsicum, celery or coriander, ginger, garlic and green chili.
- in a bowl, mix the mashed potatoes, finely chopped carrot, beans, capsicum, onion, celery or coriander, ginger,garlic, green chili, cornstarch, soy sauce, salt and black pepper really well.
- let this mixture cool completely
- cut the bread into rectangular or triangle or small shaped squares or even round shape with a biscuit cutter. spread the veggie filling evenly. press it lightly so that the filling sticks to the bread.
- you can also first spread the cornflour paste on the bread and then spread the veggie filling.
- then apply the corn flour paste on it. sprinkle the sesame seeds liberally over the paste. press lightly so that they don’t fall off.
- heat oil for shallow frying or deep frying. slid the bread slices upside down with the filling side at the bottom, in medium hot oil.
- when this side gets browned, turn and cook the other side. you can flip once or twice to get a uniform golden color.
- fry the bread slices till crisp golden. drain the fried bread slices on paper towels.
- then slice them if you want & serve sesame veg toast hot with tomato sauce or chili sauce or schezuan sauce.