Toasted Methi Roti ( Know Your Flours )
Recipe type: Breakfast
Toasted methi roti, a wholesome combination of wheat flour, gram flour and fenugreek leaves, these rotis are pre-cooked on a tava and then finished in a toaster till they are crisp and brown. Serve along with spicy mango pickle or with sweet and sour mango pickle.
- ½ cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- 1 tbsp besan (Bengal gram flour)
- ½ cup chopped fenugreek (methi) leaves
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- ½ tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onions
- 1 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp oil for kneading
- butter for topping
- Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and add knead into a stiff dough using enough water.
- Knead well and keep covered under a moist muslin cloth for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and roll out each portion into a 100 mm. (4") diameter circle.
- Cook each roti lightly on a hot tava (griddle) on both sides.
- When you want to serve the rotis, put each roti in a toaster and toast till the roti is golden brown and crisp from both the sides (approx. 2 minutes). Serve immediately topped with butter.
You can alternately toast the roti for a longer duration on a tava if toaster is not available.