Til Gur ki Roti
Recipe type: Breakfast
A wholesome bread specially to be enjoyed on a journey or a picnic. These wheat flour, jaggery and sesame rotis need to be cooked over a slow flame, so that they get cooked on the insides too. Ghee is smeared over the hot rotis. You can serve these rotis hot or cold, but necessarily along with a spicy pickle.
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- 2 tbsp melted ghee
- 6 tbsp grated jaggery (gur)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (til)
- a pinch of salt
- Other ingredients
- ghee for brushing
- Combine the jaggery with 2 tablespoons of water in a pan and cook over a slow flame till the jaggery has dissolved. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the wheat flour, ghee, melted jaggery, sesame seeds and salt and knead well into a firm dough, using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Roll out each portion into a 125 mm. (5") diameter circle.
- Heat a tava (griddle) and cook each roti over a medium flame till both sides are golden brown.
- Brush each roti with a little ghee.
- Serve hot or cold with your favourite pickle.