Carrot Cake (Eggless or Not)
Recipe type: Dessert
This Mother’s Day, surprise Mom with a moist and delicious Carrot Cake. This easy carrot cake recipe can be made with or without eggs! Top it off with a simple cream cheese frosting (we’ll show you how) or enjoy it plain…Mom will be impressed!
- All-purpose Flour (Maida) – 2 cups (300g)
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon Powder – 1 to 2 tsp (your preference)
- Nutmeg Powder – ¼ tsp
- Yogurt – 1 cup (140g)
- Brown Sugar – ½ cup, packed
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Vanilla -1 tsp
- Carrots – 2 cups (300g), finely shredded
- Walnuts – ½ cup, chopped (reserve few for garnishing)
- Salted Butter – 1 stick (4oz), melted (If using unsalted butter, add ½ tsp salt to flour)
- Eggs – 2
- For eggless cake – Flaxseed Powder – 2 Tbsp mixed with 6 Tbsp warm water (allow it to sit for 10 mins)
- For Frosting:
- Butter – 2 oz (1/2 stick) at room temp
- Cream Cheese – 8 oz at room temp
- Vanilla – 1 tsp
- Powdered Sugar – 1 cup
- Beat Butter, Cream Cheese and Vanilla until smooth. Add Powdered Sugar and beat until smooth.
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F or 180 C.
- In a mixing bowl, add All-purpose Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Cinnamon Powder and Nutmeg Powder. Mix well.
- In another large mixing bowl, add Yogurt, Brown Sugar, Sugar and Vanilla. Mix until sugar dissolves.
- Add Eggs or Flaxseed Mixture and mix. Add Flour and whisk until a smooth batter is formed.
- Add Carrots, Walnuts and Butter. Mix well.
- Lightly butter the bottoms and sides of 2 9inch cake pans and dust with flour. A 9×13 inch rectangle pan can also be used.
- Evenly divide the batter into the 2 cake pans and smooth the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350F/180C.
- Remove from Oven and allow the cakes to cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Flip them out onto waxed or parchment paper and allow them to cool completely before frosting. If you do not wish to frost the cake, you can enjoy it immediately.
- Place one cake (face down) on a platter.
- Lightly frost only the top of the cake.
- Place second cake (face down) over the first cake and frost top and sides evenly.
- Sprinkle a few chopped walnut pieces over the top to garnish.
- Tastes best at room temperature or warmed for few seconds in the microwave.