Gajar (Carrot) Kanji
Recipe type: Drinks
Once in a while, we crave a change from boring sodas and juices. Gajar ki Kanji, a unique tasting beverage made from carrots and beets, is a great alternative to your average drink. Add a few green chilies to give this recipe an added kick or simply enjoy this refreshing and beautiful beverage.
- Water – 8 cups
- Carrots – 2 large, peeled and julienned
- Beetroot – ½, peeled and julienned
- Green Chilies – to taste, slit
- Powdered Mustard Seeds – 1 Tbsp
- Salt – 2 tsp or to taste
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- In a pitcher or jar with a lid, add all of the ingredients and mix well.
- Keep the pitcher in the sun for 3-5 days, stirring at least once or twice daily.
- Once fermented, store Kanji in the refrigerator.
- Serve chilled. Mix before serving. Carrots, Beets and Green Chilies can be eaten.
- Remains fresh for up to 2 weeks.