Recipe type: Drinks
khus syrup - cooling summer drink made from dried khus grass or vetiver without any synthetic color and preservatives.
- 60 to 70 gms khus grass/vetiver (ramacham in malayalam)
- 5 cups water = 1 litre + 250 ml
- 4 cups organic unrefined cane sugar or 600 gms sugar
- first remove the roots from the grass with a kitchen scissor.
- rinse both the grass and roots (if using them) well to remove any mud or stone particles.
- chop the grass with the kitchen scissor. soak for 12 hours in water.
- strain through a juice strainer and collect the extract.
- add sugar to the extract and stir.
- keep the khus extract on the stove top and keep on stirring so that the sugar dissolves.
- once the solution starts boiling, continue cooking for some more minutes.
- filter the hot syrup directly in a clean glass jar or you can filter in a bowl or pan and then pour the syrup in a clean sterilized jar or bottle.
- immediately cover tightly with the lid and let it cool at room temperature.
- once cooled, refrigerate the khus syrup.
- dissolve ¼ or ⅓ part of the khus syrup with water and your khus sherbet or drink is ready.