Chicken and pea madras curry
Recipe type: Curries
Warm up this winter with a hearty chicken and pea madras curry.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 600g chicken thigh fillets, halved
- 1 brown onion, halved, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated
- ⅓ cup madras curry paste
- 410g can finely chopped tomatoes with tomato paste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ⅔ cup pure cream
- ½ cup plain yoghurt
- 80g baby spinach
- Steamed basmati rice and pappadums, to serve
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, garlic and ginger to pan. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Add curry paste. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Return chicken to pan. Add tomato and ½ cup water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add peas, cream and yoghurt. Stir to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes or until peas are tender. Stir in spinach until just wilted. Serve with rice and pappadums.
Follow recipe for Chicken and pea madras curry. Cool. Remove chicken from curry. Chop. Return to curry. Line 6 x 7.5cm (base) pie tins with shortcrust pastry. Trim. Fill with curry mixture. Brush edges of pastry with beaten egg. Top with puff pastry. Trim. Press edges with fork to seal. Brush with egg. Bake in a preheated 200C/180C fan-forced oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. Serve.