Recipe type: Curries
Here is a traditional chicken recipe which is staple in South Indian households, the Chicken Chennai. The choice of spice powders, grated coconut, tamarind pulp and seasonings enrob the chicken pieces in this chicken Chennai recipe.
- 1 kg jointed chicken
- ½ kg onions
- 4 cm piece of ginger (adrak)
- ½ pod of garlic (lehsun)
- 2 green chillies
- ½ cup coriander (dhania) leaves
- 2 tsp poppy seeds (khus-khus)
- 300 gms tomatoes
- 3 cloves (laung / lavang)
- 3 cardamoms (elaichi)
- 3 pcs cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 bayleaves (tejpatta)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 tbsp black pepper (kalimirch) powder
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander (dhania) powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 5 tbsp oil
- Clean and joint the chicken. remove the skin. slice onions.
- Grind ½ the onions with all the ingredients from ginger to poppy seeds to a smooth paste.
- Chop tomatoes. heat oil in a kadai on medium flame.
- Add all the ingredients from cloves to fennel. fry for 1 minute. add onion slices and fry till brown.
- Add the ground paste and fry well. add all the powders, fry for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, fry till oil separates at the sides of the kadai. add chicken pieces and salt.
- Add 2 cups of water.cover and lower the flame.
- Simmer till chicken is cooked. serve hot with steamed rice.