Recipe type: Curries
Flavored rice (called Basmati rice) cooked with boneless chicken pieces along with whole spices. An intersting change in looks as well as taste.
- 6 boneless pieces (about 800 grams) of chicken
- 4 tablespoons yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon(s) each of finely chopped ginger and garlic
- 1" cinnamon stick broken
- 4 each of cloves and green cardamoms
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon(s) cashewnuts and raisins
- 1 teaspoon(s) each of red chilli and hot spice mix (garam masala) powders
- 2 medium tomato(es) chopped
- 2 medium sized onions chopped
- 2 cup(s) flavored rice(basmati)
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter (ghee) / butter
- 4 cups chicken stock / water
- salt to taste
- Soak the rice for an hour. Drain and keep aside. Make cuts on the chicken pieces. In a bowl combine the yoghurt, half of the chopped ginger and garlic with some salt. Rub this marinade onto the chicken pieces. Keep aside for an hour at least.
- Heat the clarified butter(ghee)/ butter in a heavy-bottomed pan till hot and splutter the cumin seeds. Add the cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves, cardamoms, cashewnuts, raisins and fry for a few seconds. Now add the remaining chopped ginger, garlic, red chilli and garam masala powders. Stir fry. Add chopped onions and saute till they are medium brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute on high level whilst stirring continuously for about 2 minute(s).
- Add the chicken with the marinade and fry on high for a few seconds. Lower the heat and saute the chicken on a medium level for about 8 minutes or till it is half cooked.
- Add the chicken stock / water, rice, salt and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low level for about 20 minutes or till the rice is fully cooked and all the water has evaporated. Separate the rice grains lightly with a fork.
Traditionally flavored rice or Basmati rice is used for this recipe. If it is difficult to obtain Basmati rice, (it may be available in Indian stores) any other long-grained rice is fine. If one prefers firm and fully cooked rice, then the amount of water or stock can be reduced. To make 500 ml of chicken stock, cook about 500 grams of chicken bones with one litre of water, chopped onions and garlic till the stock is reduced to half the quantity. Chicken pieces with bones can also be used for this dish. Serve hot with: Spinach in Yoghurt (Palak Raita) or any other yoghurt dish of your choice.