Chicken and prawn paella
Recipe type: Curries
Paella is the perfect dish for big appetites - it is hearty and every mouthful is a delicious taste sensation.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 chicken thigh fillets, halved
- 12 medium green king prawns, peeled leaving tails intact, deveined
- 2 chorizo sausages, coarsely chopped
- 1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp ground smoked paprika
- ½ tsp saffron threads
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- Fresh continental parsley leaves, to serve
- Heat the oil in a 24cm (base measurement) non-stick paella pan or large frying pan over medium heat.
- Cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the prawns and cook for 2-3 minutes or until they curl and change colour. Transfer to the bowl.
- Increase heat to medium high. Add the chorizo to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden.
- Add the onion and capsicum, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in the rice, garlic, paprika and saffron. Cook for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the tomato and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, without stirring, for 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the rice mixture and cook for 10 minutes or until almost all the liquid is absorbed. Add the water and top with the prawns. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes or until the rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed. Top with parsley.