Chicken red curry with bamboo shoots
Recipe type: Curries
Spicy red curry is the perfect warming recipe for cold winter nights.
- 2 tbs peanut or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (75g) red curry paste
- 1 large red capsicum, finely chopped
- 600g chicken strips
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 400ml can light coconut milk
- 225g can sliced bamboo shoots, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves*
- Lemon wedges and steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- Place the oil, red curry paste and chopped capsicum in a wide saucepan over medium heat and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until the mixture is fragrant.
- Increase the heat to high, then add the chicken strips and stir-fry for 3 minutes or until the chicken is almost cooked. Add the fish sauce, caster sugar, coconut milk and drained bamboo shoots. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil leaves.
- Serve the chicken curry with lemon wedges and steamed jasmine rice.
Thai basil leaves are available from selected greengrocers and Asian food shops.