Recipe type: Curries
Chicken cooked with green leaves. This is how the Sindhi's (People from Sindh in the northern part of India) cook it... quick and simple.
- 8 medium sized pieces (about 800 grams) of chicken
- 1 cup(s) mix of finely chopped coriander, mint ,spinach and dill leaves
- 1 teaspoon(s) each of cumin, corianderand red chilli powders
- 4 green chillies
- 2 tablespoon(s) yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon(s) tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon(s) ginger finely chopped
- 4 tomatoes chopped
- ½ teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
- 4 medium onions grated
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter (ghee) / butter / oil
- salt to taste
- finely chopped fresh coriander leaves to garnish
- Heat the clarified butter (ghee) / butter / oil in a heavy bottomed pan till hot. Add all the ingredients and mix well. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook on medium level for about 30 minutes or till the chicken is fully cooked and all the water is evaporated.
- Garnish with finely chopped fresh coriander leaves.
If it is difficult to obtain dill leaves, it can be omitted. Although, dill leaves add a very distinct flavor to this dish. Serve hot with: Green Peas Rice (Matar Pulav), white rice or Indian bread (Roti).