Lamb cutlets with chickpea and zucchini curry
Recipe type: Curries
Need to get dinner on the table pronto? Give this colourful dish a whirl!
- 2 large zucchinis
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil, plus extra, to cook
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 100g tomato paste
- 1½ tbs Patak’s Eggplant Pickle, (see note) plus extra, to serve
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas
- 8 lamb cutlets
- Coriander leaves, Greek-style yoghurt and pappadums, to serve
- Cut zucchinis into 1.5cm pieces. Peel onion and garlic, then finely chop. Toss zucchinis with oil, spices and 1 tsp salt in a bowl until combined.
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add zucchini mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until it starts to soften. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, then add tomato paste and eggplant pickle, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Drain chickpeas, rinse, then drain again. Add to pan with 250ml (1 cup) water and simmer for 8 minutes or until chickpeas are warmed through.
- Meanwhile, heat a large, heavy-based frying pan over high heat. Rub lamb with a little oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute each side for medium or until cooked to your liking.
- Scatter coriander over curry and serve with lamb cutlets, extra eggplant pickle, yoghurt and pappadums.
For a variation, substitute 1 eggplant cut into 1.5cm pieces for the zucchinis. Instead of pappadums, serve curry with steamed rice or naan. Patak's Eggplant Pickle is available from supermarkets.