Sabut Masala Chicken
Recipe type: Curries
Quick, easy and very healthy! This Sabut Masala Chicken has a very appealing look and a flavor that surpasses all others. The whole spices pop out without being overbearing and overtaking from the main ingredient.
- Boneless Chicken Thighs – 2½ lbs (1 kg)
- Oil – 3 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Sauf (Fennel Seeds) – 1 tsp
- Kalonji (Onion Seeds/Nigella) – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds (Methi) – ½ tsp
- Dried Pomegranate Seeds – 1 tsp, powdered
- Whole Black Peppercorns – 1 tsp, roughly crushed
- Dry Red Chili Flakes – 2 tsp or to taste
- Curry Leaves – 3 sprigs
- Ginger – 2 Tbsp, thinly sliced
- Garlic – 6 large cloves, sliced
- Green Chilies – 4 to 5 or to taste, slit
- Onion – 1 large, sliced
- Tomato – 1 large, sliced
- Salt – 2 tsp or to taste
- Cilantro – few sprigs, chopped for garnishing
- Cut and clean Chicken to bite size pieces.
- Roughly crush Pomegranate Seeds and Whole Black Peppercorns.
- In a separate bowl, combine Mustard Seeds, Sauf, Kalonji, Cumin Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds and Chilli Flakes. Also add in Pomegranate and Peppercorns.
- Heat Oil in a large wok or a skillet.
- In the hot Oil, add in the spices and allow them to pop and crackle.
- Add in the Curry Leaves, Ginger, Garlic and Green Chillies. Mix.
- Add in sliced Onions and Salt.
- Increase the heat to a high and allow Onions cook for 4-5 minutes. Keep stirring.
- Add sliced Tomatoes and mix to allow the Oil and masala to coat them.
- Add Chicken and mix well. Add additional Salt if needed.
- Allow the Chicken to cook for 10-12 minutes. Keep stirring for even cooking.
- Cut a piece of Chicken to ensure it is cooked all the way.
- Once cooked, serve hot if being used as an entree or cook further if being served as an appetizer.
- Garnish with some Cilantro.