Beetroot soup with creme fraiche and chives
Recipe type: soups
Everyone will love this spectacular beetroot soup, which offers a gourmet take on the traditional favourite.
- 40g unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 desiree potato, peeled, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1L (4 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
- 450g can baby beetroot, drained, roughly chopped
- Creme fraiche (or sour cream), croutons and finely snipped chives, to serve
- Extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and carrot and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until slightly softened. Add the chopped potato and cook, stirring, for a further 5 minutes. Add the bay leaf, stock and 1 cup (250ml) water. Increase the heat to medium-high, bring soup to the boil, then cook for a further 5 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender. Add the chopped canned beetroot and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly, then discard the bay leaf. Using a stick blender, blend soup until smooth (or puree in batches in a blender). Season soup to taste, add a little extra water if it's too thick, and warm through over low heat if necessary.
- To serve, divide soup among bowls and top each with a dollop of creme fraiche or sour cream. Scatter with croutons and chives, then drizzle with oil.