Cauliflower soup with brioche crumbs
Recipe type: soups
Crunchy, golden crumbs are the textural topping of this smooth and creamy cauliflower soup.
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken or vegetable stock
- 300ml milk
- 300ml pure (thin) cream
- 1 small brioche, torn
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1 tbs finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook the onion for 3-4 minutes until soft but not coloured. Add cauliflower and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add stock and milk, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 5-6 minutes until cauliflower is tender. Cool slightly, then blend soup until smooth. Return to pan with cream and heat through. Season with sea salt and white pepper.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C. Process brioche and garlic in a food processor to form crumbs. Spread on a baking tray and toast for 5-6 minutes until golden, then toss with parsley. Serve soup sprinkled with the crumbs.
You can warm the soup over medium heat for 5 minutes. Keep the toasted crumb mixture separate in an airtight container.