Spinach and leek soup
Recipe type: soups
- 1 tablespoon walnuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 leeks, halved lengthways, washed, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 1 bunch English spinach, trimmed, washed, shredded
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Place walnuts onto a baking tray. Cook for 8 minutes or until toasted. Roughly chop.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring, or until soft. Add stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook, partially covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add spinach. Cook for 30 seconds. Remove soup from heat. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Blend or process soup, in batches, until almost smooth. Return to saucepan.
- Stir in cream. Heat over low heat until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with walnuts. Serve.