Chilli bean soup with corn bread
Recipe type: soups
Take soups from starters to the main event with this top recipe. It's hearty, tasty and budget-friendly, too.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 roasted capsicums*
- 2 small red chillies, seeded, chopped
- 900ml vegetable stock
- 700ml tomato passata
- 2 tbs sun-dried tomato paste
- 415g can red kidney beans, drained, washed
- Sour cream and coriander, to serve
- Corn bread
- 150g self-raising flour
- 175g instant polenta
- 100g goat's cheese, crumbled
- 310g can creamed corn
- 2 red chillies, seeded, diced
- 1 tbs coriander, chopped
- 1 tbs honey
- 175ml buttermilk
- 50g butter, melted
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat until soft. Add garlic, capsicum, chilli and cook for 1 minute. Add stock, passata, tomato paste and kidney beans. Stir to combine.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for 25 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly, then blend in batches.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- To make the corn bread, sift the flour, polenta and 1 teaspoon of salt in a mixing bowl, add goat's cheese, corn, chilli, coriander, honey, buttermilk and butter, and season with black pepper.
- Stir to combine and transfer to a greased 20cm spring-form pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Swirl sour cream into soup and garnish with coriander. Serve with corn bread.
Available from good delicatessens.