Cream of parsnip soup
Recipe type: soups
Nutty parsnip blends well with rich cream and the warming scent of sage in this soup.
- 20g butter
- 1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 (about 500g) parsnips, trimmed, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 (about 500g) potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 1.25L (5 cups) water
- 2 chicken or vegetable stock cubes (see note)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) pouring cream
- Extra sage leaves, to serve
- White pepper, to season
- Chargrilled sourdough bread, to serve
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Cook the onion, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the parsnip, potato and sage and stir to coat. Add the water and chicken or vegetable stock cubes.
- Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Set aside to cool slightly. Use a stick blender to blend until smooth.
- Stir in the cream. Place the soup over medium-low heat and stir until heated through. Divide the soup among serving bowls and top with extra sage. Season with white pepper and serve with bread.
Use vegetable stock for a vegetarian version.