Swiss brown mushroom soup
Recipe type: soups
Delicious, healthy and versatile, mushrooms are the star ingredient in this nourishing autumn soup.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 20g butter
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 600g Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2½ cups chicken stock
- 300ml pure cream
- 4 slices prosciutto, chopped
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Heat 1½ tablespoons oil and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 5 to 6 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and two-thirds of the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until mushrooms are just tender. Add wine. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until almost evaporated. Add stock. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Using a stick blender, blend until smooth.
- Increase heat to medium-low. Add cream to mushroom mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until heated through (don't boil).
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add prosciutto and remaining mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and prosciutto golden and crisp.
- Divide soup between bowls. Top with prosciutto mixture. Serve with bread.
Use 2 middle bacon rashers, trimmed, diced, instead of prosciutto and save around $1.62 in total.