Curried pumpkin and chickpea soup
Recipe type: soups
Here's a hearty curried pumpkin and chickpea soup to warm up your insides and fill you up!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1.75kg butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 400g cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Plain Greek-style yoghurt and fresh coriander sprigs, to serve
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Add curry powder. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add pumpkin. Stir to coat.
- Using a fork, crush half the chickpeas. Add crushed chickpeas, stock and 1 cup cold water to pan. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes or until pumpkin is very tender and soup has thickened. Stir in remaining chickpeas. Ladle into bowls. Top with yoghurt and coriander. Serve.
All about freezing soup: Ladle cooled soups in to airtight containers or snap-lock bags. Freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw in fridge overnight. To reheat, place soup in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until heated through.