Chatambade ( How To Make Chatambade )
Recipe type: Snacks
The addition of curry leaves, either as a seasoning or a flavouring agent, is a salient feature of south indian cooking. This south indian delicacy stands testimony to this, with the distinct flavour and aroma of curry leaves wafting through the air and kindling your gastronomic juices into full-throttle.
- 1 cup chana dal (split Bengal gram)
- 2 whole dry Kashmiri red chillies , broken into pieces
- 2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 4 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- ½ cup freshly grated coconut
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped curry leaves (kadi patta)
- salt to taste
- coconut oil or any other oil for deep-frying
- fried coconut chutney for serving
- Clean, wash and soak the dal overnight. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the dal, red chillies, green chillies, cumin seeds and a little water and blend in a mixer to a coarse paste.
- Add the onions, coriander, curry leaves and salt and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 20 equal portions and shape each portion into a small round.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry till they turn golden brown in colour. Drain on absorbent paper. Serve hot with fried coconut chutney.