Chawli Methi Dhokla
Recipe type: Snacks
An unusual combination that makes light and flavourful dhoklas.
- 1 cup chola dal (split cow peas)
- ½ cup chopped fenugreek (methi) leaves
- ½ cup chopped spinach
- 3 green chillies
- ¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 2 tbsp curds (dahi)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp fruit salt
- For The Tempering
- ½ tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 slit green chilli , chopped
- 1 tsp oil
- For The Garnish
- grated coconut
- Soak the dal for 4 hours.
- Grind the soaked dal with the green chillies, adding a little water.
- Add the methi, spinach, hing, turmeric, curds, oil and salt and mix well.
- When you wish to steam the dhoklas add the fruit salt to the batter, sprinkle a little water over it and mix gently.
- Pour into a greased 175 (7") thali and steam for 7 to10 minutes.
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes.
- Prepare the tempering by heating the oil; add the rai and allow to crackle.
- Add the jeera and hing and remove from the flame. Pour a teaspoon of
- Water into the oil once it has cooled and pour the tempering over the dhoklas.
- Cut into squares, garnish with the coconut and serve hot with green chutney.
Always use your hands while mixing the batter to break the lumps.