Chilli chicken and lime mayonnaise open sandwich
Recipe type: Snacks
Chicken mayonnaise sandwiches are given a gourmet twist in this decadent version.
- ½ cup whole-egg mayonnaise
- 2 small limes, rind finely grated, juiced
- 8 chicken thigh fillets, trimmed
- ⅓ cup sweet chilli sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- olive oil cooking spray
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 8 slices sourdough bread, each 1cm thick
- 100g baby spinach
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, sliced
- Combine mayonnaise, lime rind, 1 tablespoon lime juice and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place chicken between sheets of baking paper. Using a meat mallet, pound to 1cm thick. Combine sweet chilli, garlic and 2 tablespoons lime juice in a shallow ceramic dish. Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Lightly spray a chargrill pan with oil. Heat over high heat. Add onions and spray with oil. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until just soft. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Return pan to heat and cook chicken for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until just cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Toast bread until golden. Place on plates. Top with spinach, avocado, chicken, onion and lime mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper and serve with lime wedges.