Hot & Spicy Sev
Recipe type: Snacks
There is something to be said about all the namkeens (savory snacks) that we can find at a sweet shop or just walk down the Indian store snack aisle. The number of options is mind blowing and enough to make your decision super hard. Every wonder what goes into making them, sounds hard, right?They make perfect tea-time snack and are great when you are in a munchy mood. Enjoy!
- Cinnamon Powder – ¼ tsp
- Cloves Powder – ¼ tsp
- Coarse Black Pepper Powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chili Powder – ½ tsp or to taste
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Water – ¼ cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Baking Soda – a pinch
- Lemon /Lime Juice – 1 tsp
- Chickpea Flour (Besan) – 1 cup
- Oil for deep frying
- In a bowl mix everything except the Chickpea Flour.
- Mix well and then add the Chickpea Flour little at a time, mixing constantly, making sure lumps don’t form.
- Heat the Oil for frying.
- Grease the inside of the Sev-Maker.
- Wipe the outside of the Sev-Maker and wash hands and make sure they are not slippery.
- Pour some of the mixture into the Sev-Maker and close it.
- Once the oil is hot, rotate the sev-maker and in a circular motion pour carefully into the oil.
- Once you have completed one circle, rotate the sev-maker backwards to stop the flow.
- Cook the sev on medium heat for about 3-4 minutes and flip using the help of another spoon or fork (to avoid splashing)
- Cook on the other side for a couple of minutes till there are no more bubbles forming.
- Take out the sev and place on a paper towel.
- Allow it to cool down to room temperature.
- Break into pieces and store in an air-tight container and store.
- Does not need to be refrigerated.