Recipe type: Snacks
- 1 cup atta/wheat flour
- ¾ to 1 cup maida/white flour
- 1 tsp ajwain/carom seeds
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera (optional)
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp ghee
- ½ to ¾ cup water
- salt to taste
- oil for frying
- few black peppercorns
- seive the wheat flour, white flour, cooking soda and salt together.
- add the ajwain.
- mix the carom seeds with the rest of the seived flours.
- add the ghee.
- add water and start to knead the dough.
- the dough should not be soft, but a little tight and hard.
- make the mathris in any shape as shown in the pictorials above.
- if making round mathris then make it a little thick.
- fry the mathris in low to medium hot oil till browned and crisp.
- serve mathri as a snack with indian chai or with punjabi mango pickle.