Caramel tarts with maple pecans
Recipe type: sweets
These nutty, caramel tarts taste as good as they look!
- 1½ cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 125g butter, chilled, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons chilled water
- Caramel filling
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- ⅔ cup thickened cream
- 80g butter, chopped
- Maple pecans
- ¾ cup pecans
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Place flour, sugar and butter in a processor. Process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and 1 tablespoon chilled water. Process until dough just comes together, adding more chilled water if necessary. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface. Knead until just smooth. Shape into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make maple pecans: Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place pecans and syrup in a bowl. Toss to coat. Place mixture, in a single layer, on prepared tray. Bake, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Reduce oven temperature to 180°C/ 160°C fan-forced. Grease four 3cm-deep, 10cm (base) loose-based fluted tart pans. Roll out pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Using a 13cm round cutter, cut 4 rounds from pastry. Line pans with pastry. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Place pans on a baking tray. Line pastry cases with baking paper. Fill with ceramic pie weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are light golden. Remove weights or rice and paper. Bake for 8 minutes or until bases are light golden. Set aside to cool.
- Make caramel filling: Place sugar in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook, without stirring, for 5 to 6 minutes or until sugar turns golden. Reduce heat to low. Add cream. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until smooth. Remove from heat. Add butter. Stir to combine. Cool for 5 minutes. Pour into pastry cases. Refrigerate overnight or until set. Top with maple pecans. Serve.