Zapiekanka – Polish Baked Baguette
Recipe type: Appetiser
Traditionally Zapiekanka is a baguette filled with mushrooms and cheese plus ham or other type of meat and is a common sight on Polish street corners.
- Olive Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Bell Pepper – ½, chopped
- Mushrooms – 4 to 5, sliced
- Onion – ½ small, chopped
- Garlic Powder – ½ tsp
- Crushed Red Chili Flakes – optional and to taste
- Italian Seasoning – ½ tsp
- Pasta Sauce – ½ cup or as needed to lightly coat the veggies.
- Pickled Jalapenos – to taste (optional)
- Black Olives – ¼ cup
- Salt – to taste
- Shredded Cheese – 1 cup or to taste (divided)
- Italian Bread or Baguette – Thin Variety
- Preheat Oven 450F/232C.
- Heat Olive Oil in a skillet.
- Add Bell Pepper, Mushrooms and Onions.
- Season with Garlic Powder, Crushed Red Chili Flakes, and Italian Seasoning. Mix well and cook until Onions are lightly caramelized, stirring frequently.
- Add Pasta Sauce and mix well.
- Add Jalapenos, Olives and Salt to taste. Mix well and turn off stove.
- With a serrated knife, cut into the Bread at an angle near the top and make it into a boat shape. The part you remove can be saved for later use.
- Mix ½ of the cheese into the veggie mixture and quickly mix so that the cheese does not melt.
- Immediately fill the bread boat with the mixture and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven (450F/232C) until the cheese is lightly golden and bubbly (approx 5-8 minutes).
- Serve hot.