Pan Pizza (Deep Dish) Crust
Recipe type: Appetiser
Pizzas come in all different crust styles. Try this simple recipe for homemade Pan Pizza (Deep Dish Pizza, Thick Crust Pizza) with a soft, thick and bread-like crust. It makes a deliciously filling meal.
- Luke Warm Water – ⅓ cup + 1 Tbsp
- Rapid Rise Yeast – ½ tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Instant Non-Fat Dry Milk (Milk Powder) – 1 Tbsp
- Salt – ¼ to ½ tsp
- All-purpose Flour – 1 cup plus additional for rolling
- Olive Oil – 4 tsp, divided
- Butter – 1-2 tsp
- Note: Water and Milk Powder can be substituted with ⅓ cup + 2 Tbsp of 1% milk.
- Dissolve Yeast and Sugar into Warm Water. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes or until foamy.
- Dissolve Milk Powder and Salt into the yeast mixture.
- Pour yeast mixture into All-purpose flour a little at a time to form a soft dough. Knead for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour 2 tsp Olive Oil onto dough and knead again for 4-5 minutes.
- Lightly flour a rolling surface and roll out dough into a 10 inch disc.
- Coat a 9 inch cake pan with 2 tsp Olive Oil and place rolled dough into it, pressing down the sides.
- Cover with a plate or kitchen towel and place the dough to rise in a warm place for 1 hour (warm oven to 150 F/65 C and turn off).
- Preheat oven to 425F/218C
- Bake the crust for 5-7 minutes until light golden.
- Lightly butter the edges of the crust.
- Top with your choice of pizza sauce, cheese and toppings (mozzarella cheese, olives, onion, mushrooms, bell peppers, jalapenos, pepperoni, etc).
- Bake at 425F/218C for 7-10 minutes until cheese is bubbly and melted.