Almond Berry and Coconut Cake, For Fitness and Weight Loss
Recipe type: Tips
The Almond, Berry and Coconut Cake is a dashing treat for the palate, with its melt-in-the-mouth texture and splendid flavour. This unique cake is made with almond flour, coconut, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and honey, unlike run-of-the-mill cakes that are made with maida and sugar. Your body will thank for the goodness of each of these ingredients! Almonds contain a lot of healthy fats, fibre, protein, magnesium and vitamin E. It helps lower blood sugar levels, reduces blood pressure and keeps cholesterol under check. Coconut is made of medium chain triglycerides, which are transported from the intestinal tract to the liver and immediately converted into fuel for your body! Berries are very special too. They are rich in phytochemicals, which are naturally-occurring nutrients that protect our cells from damage. Pumpkin seeds too are a treasure trove of antioxidants. Berries are sweet, but not the kind that scares diabetics. Together with the honey, the berries make the cake pleasantly sweet. If you want it sweeter, you can add a little more honey. This healthy treat is excellent for weight-watchers and athletes as it is rich in healthy fats. It can be relished any time, as a snack or as a dessert. You can also try other healthy treats like Almond Bread , Paneer Tikka , Broccoli and Bajra Snack and Deviled Eggs .
- 1 cup almonds (badam)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup freshly grated coconut
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds (surajmukhi ke beej)
- ¼ cup almond (badam) slivers
- ¼ cup frozen blueberries
- coconut oil for greasing
- Soak the almonds in enough hot water, cover with a lid and keep aside for 1 hour. Drain and peel them.
- Blend in a mixer along with the sea salt and blend well. Keep aside
- Combine the coconut oil, honey, vanilla essence, 1 tbsp of water in a deep bowl and mix well using a spatula.
- Add all the other ingredients including the almond mixture and mix very well using a spatula.
- Grease a 175 mm. ( 7”) diameter aluminium tin with coconut oil, put the mixture into it and even it out using a spatula. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200ºc (400ºf) for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.