Aloo gajar matar recipe
Recipe type: Curries
aloo gajar matar - quick and easy dry curry made with potatoes, carrots and peas. no onion no garlic recipe.
- 3 medium sized potatoes/aloo, 220-230 grams or 1.5 cups chopped potatoes
- 2 medium carrots/gajar, 150 grams or 1 cup chopped carrots
- ¾ cups peas/matar, fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 inch ginger/adrak, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies/hari mirch, finely chopped
- a generous pinch of asafoedita/hing
- 2 to 3 tbsp water
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves/dhania patta
- salt as required
- rinse the vegetables in water. peel and then chop potatoes, carrots. also finely, chop the ginger and green chilli. chop the potatoes and carrots into small pieces or you can even chop them into cubes.
- heat oil in a pressure cooker. add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- add the chopped ginger and green chillies in pressure cooker.
- saute for about 20 seconds.
- then add all the vegetables - potatoes, peas and carrots. add asafoetida/hing and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- add salt and 3 tbsp water. close the pressure cooker tightly with its lid. pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles till the vegetables become tender.
- once the pressure drops on its own, remove the lid of the cooker.
- if there is any water or moisture in the cooker, then simmer the veggies till all the water is evaporated.
- check the seasoning and add more salt if required.
- lastly add coriander leaves and give a stir.
- serve gajar aloo matar hot with rotis or chapatis or as a side dish with dal rice combo.
for cooking in a pan: add about 5 to 6 tbsp water and cover the lid tightly and simmer till the veggies are tender. in case the water dries up whilst cooking, then add some water and continue to cook.