Gobi ke danthal ki sabzi recipe
Recipe type: Curries
punjabi gobi ke danthal ki sabzi - a dry spiced curry made from cauliflower stalks and leaves.
- stalks and leaves from 1 large cauliflower/gobi
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped - about 1.25 heaped cup of chopped onion
- ¾ inch ginger/adrak, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves/lahsun, crushed
- 1 green chili, chopped or ½ tsp kashmiri red chili powder or deghi mirch
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- a generous pinch of asafoetida/hing
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- ½ to 1 tsp dry mango powder/amchur, add as per your taste
- 2 to 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp mustard oil/sarson ka tel
- salt as required
- remove the leaves from the cauliflower stalks. rinse the stalks thoroughly to remove the mud particles. keep them soaked in hot water for about 5 mins.
- peel of the hard or tough outer layer from the stalks then slice them to one inch pieces. you can also chop them in cubes.
- rinse the leaves well and chop them finely.
- heat oil in a small pressure cooker or a pressure pan.
- add garlic and ginger. stir and saute till their raw aroma goes away.
- then add the onions and saute till translucent.
- now add the turmeric powder, green chilies, asafoetida/hing.
- stir and add the chopped stalks and leaves.
- add salt and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. lastly add 2 to 3 tbsp water.
- cover and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles. *check notes if not using a pressure cooker
- the stalks should become tender after cooking. if not, then pressure cook for more 1 or 2 whistle.
- once the pressure settles down on its own remove the lid of the cooker.
- if there is moisture or any water in the cooker, then simmer till all the water evaporates.
- add garam masala and ½ tsp dry mango powder/amchur. stir well.
- check the taste and add ¼ to ½ tsp more of dry mango powder as per your taste.
- serve gobi danthal sabzi with rotis or phulkas.
if making this dish in a pan, then you will have to add some more water than what is mentioned in the recipe. cover the pan tightly and allow the cauliflower stalks to cook till tender. in case the water dries up, then add some more, if the stalks have not cooked through.