Begun Bhaja Recipe
Recipe type: Curries
Baingan Bhaja or Begun Bhaja are pan fried or shallow fried marinated slices of Aubergines
- 1 large eggplant (baingan/aubergine) cut into half inch round slices
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/hadli
- 1 tsp garam masala powder (optional)
- 1 tsp dried mango/amchur powder (optional)
- rice flour as required
- salt as required
- mustard oil or sunflower oil for frying
- Rinse the eggplant (baingain) well in water. Pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- Now slice the eggplant in ½ inch thick roundels.
- Soak these slices in salted water for 15-20 minutes. Remove and pat dry all the slices.
- Now add all the spice powders and salt and mix the slices well. Marinate for 5-7 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Take rice flour in a plate. Coat each slice with rice flour. Dust off the extra rice flour.
- Now pan fry the baingan slices till crisp and golden brown on both sides.
- Drain baingan slices on paper tissues.
- Serve Baingan Bhaja hot with yogurt or any yogurt dip and some bread or rotis or naans.