Bharwa Aloo Baingan
Recipe type: Curries
Simple and delicious Gujarati dish enjoyed at lunch time. Even easy to cook when you have guests at your home
- 8 small round brinjals (baingan / eggplant)
- 8 baby potatoes
- 1 tomato , finely chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped garlic (lehsun)
- 2 tsp besan (bengal gram flour)
- 2 tsp roasted and powdered peanuts
- 2 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 3 to 4 tsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- Combine the besan, peanut powder,coriander-cumin seeds powder, chilli powder, garam masala, tomatoes, garlic, salt, sugar and coriander in a bowl and mix well.
- Peel and wash the potatoes, wash and trim the stalks of brinjals.
- Hold each vegetable vertically and make a diagonal slit, ¾ into the vegetable,so that the veggies remain intact.
- Then turn it upside down and make a similar slit on the opposite diagonal.
- Instead of the cross cut of the same side, you have the two slits on the opposite ends.
- Stuff the prepared masala in brinjals and potatoes.
- Heat oil in a large pan and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, turmeric powder and the vegetables, mix well and saute for 2 minutes.
- Cover with a lid on low flame and cook till done.
- If more stuffing is left add it to the vegetables in the end.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot.