Chaas – A Yogurt Based Indian Recipe
Recipe type: Curries
Chaas is a yogurt (curd) based dish/drink! Yes, it can be had as a curry or as a drink! It is a refreshing dish/drink, great for the summer and is an ideal accompaniment with Masala Khichadi…the spice of the Masala Kichadi and the soothing taste of the Chaas, things don’t get any better than that!
- Yogurt/Curd – 1 cup, well-beaten
- Water – 1 cup
- Roasted Cumin Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon Stick – 1″ pc.
- Dry Red Chili – 1 or to taste
- Curry Leaves – few
- Garlic – 2 cloves, finely chopped
- Green Chillies – to taste, finely chopped
- Cilantro/Coriander Leaves – for garnish
- While whisking the well-beaten Yogurt, add in the Water to desired consistency.
- Add in the Roasted Cumin Powder and Salt and mix well. Keep aside.
- In a small skillet, heat Oil on medium heat.
- Add in the Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle for a few seconds.
- Add in the Cloves (smash the bulbs), Cinnamon Stick and Dry Red Chili.
- Also add in the powder from the Cloves, Curry Leaves, Garlic & Green Chillies and cook for 30 secs.
- Turn off the flame and then add in the chopped Cilantro Leaves and mix well.
- Add the seasoning to the Yogurt/Water mixture.
- Mix well and serve with Masala Khichadi or just have it as a drink!
1. To make the yogurt less sour, add in milk while making Chaas, Raita or Yogurt Rice. 2. Remove the bulbs from the Cloves before putting them in oil as they tend to pop. 3. Mixing in the Cilantro to the seasoning, helps retain it’s color. 4. Buttermilk can also be substituted for the yogurt and water.