Egg Keema (Kheema) – Indian Cooking Recipe
Recipe type: Curries
Keema (aka kheema or qeema) is traditionally a flavorful minced meat (beef or lamb) dish said to have originated in Persia but extremely popular in the Indian sub-continent. Try this great variation to the classic recipe using Hard Boiled Eggs – a perfect protein packed delight for vegetarians who eat eggs.
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch piece
- Black Cardamom – 1
- Green Cardamom – 2
- Whole Cloves – 2
- Onion – 1 large, finely chopped
- Ginger – 2 tsp, minced
- Garlic – 2 tsp, minced
- Green Chilies – to taste, finely chopped
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Tomatoes – 2 large, pureed
- Hard Boiled Eggs – 6, peeled and grated
- Frozen Green Peas – ½ cup
- Garam Masala – ½ tsp
- Water – ½ cup or little more
- Cilantro – finely chopped for garnishing
- Heat Oil in a medium non-stick pan on medium heat.
- Add Bay Leaf, Cinnamon Stick, Black Cardamom, Green Cardamom and Whole Cloves. Stir for 30 seconds.
- Add Onions and a little salt, mix well, cover and cook for about 15 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add Ginger and Garlic, mix well and cook uncovered for another 5 minutes until Onions turn brown and oil starts to separate from the mixture.
- Add Green Chilies and Tomatoes, mix well, cover and cook for about 10 minutes. Be sure to stir a few times in between.
- Remove cover and continue to cook until oil starts to separate from the mixture again.
- Add Red Chili Powder, Turmeric Powder, Coriander Powder and Cumin Powder. Mix well.
- Add grated hard boiled eggs, salt and a little water and mix well.
- Add Green Peas (cooked in the microwave for 1 minute with a little water) and Garam Masala and cook for 2-3 mintues.
- Garnish with fresh Cilantro.
- Serves 4