Channa (Chole) Masala
Recipe type: Curries
This Channa Masala recipe is sure to steal your heart! Lovingly known by a lot of different names, such as Chole, Punjabi Chole, Khatte Channe! The color and the flavors are just phenomenal.
- Kabuli Channas/Garbanzo Beans – 2 c
- Water – 8 cups
- Tea bags – 2
- Black Cardamom – 1
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Cinnamon Stick – 1″ pc
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1.5 tbsp
- Hing/Asafoetida – ⅛ tsp
- Crushed Tomatoes – 14.5 oz can/400 gms
- Channa/Chole Masala – 1 tbsp
- Anardana – ½ tsp
- Red Chili Powder – ½ tsp
- Chaat Masala – ½ tsp
- Amchur/Dry Mango Powder – ½ tsp
- Onions & Green Chilles – for garnishing
- Soak the Channas overnight.
- Transfer the Channas and the Water it has been soaking in into the pressure cooker.
- Add in Cinnamon Stick, Bay Leaf, Black Cardamom, Teabags & Salt. Mix
- Close pressure cooker and allow it to whistle thrice, lower heat and cook for another 20 min.
- Once done, allow the pressure to go down and then open.
- Seperate the water and the Channas, do not discard the water.
- In a pan, heat Oil on medium heat.
- Once hot, add in the Asafoetida and right after that add in the Crushed Tomatoes.
- Cook till the Tomatoes seperate from the Oil.
- Add in the Channa Masala, Chaat Masala, Red Chilli Powder, Dry Mango Powder & Anardana Powder.
- Mix well.
- Add in the Channas/Chole and mix again.
- Add in the Water that had been set aside, little at a time.
- Mix occasionaly and cover and allow the channas to cook.
- Repeat the process till the water is all consumed and the consistency of the gravy looks good.
- Garnish with Onions and Green Chillies.
- Serve hot with Puris, Bhaturas, Bread, Chapati, Parathas or Naan.
1. Serve the Channa Masala with tikkis or Samosas. 2. If the dish is too sour, add a tsp of sugar to balance out the flavor.