Recipe type: Curries
Vegetable Korma is a very mild yet flavorful Mughlai dish. Korma is traditionally meat or vegetables cooked with onions in a creamy yogurt sauce. Try this recipe for a healthy version of the well known favorite.
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Broken Cashew Pieces – 2 Tbsp
- Golden Raisins – 1 Tbsp
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch piece
- Green Cardamom – 3
- Whole Cloves – 7
- White (or Black) Peppercorns – ¼ tsp
- Broken Cashews – ¼ cup
- Onions – 2 medium, finely chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Garlic – 2 Tbsp, finely chopped
- Ginger – 2 Tbsp, finely chopped
- Green Chilies – to taste, finely chopped
- Cumin Powder – ½ Tbsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 Tbsp
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Evaporated Milk – 5 oz can
- Yogurt – ½ cup, well beaten
- Paneer – approx 7 oz, cubed
- Tomato – 1 large, cubed
- Carrots – 2 (approx 1 cup), cubed
- Cauliflower – 2 cups, cut to bite size florets
- Potatoes – 2 medium, cubed
- Frozen Green Peas – 1 cup
- Green Beans – 1 cup, cut to 1 inch pieces
- Cilantro Leaves – ½ cup, finely chopped
- Water – approx 2 cups
- Heat Oil in a medium non-stick pan on medium heat.
- Fry Cashews (2 Tbsp) and Raisins until golden brown. Remove onto a plate draining as much Oil as possible back into the pan.
- In the same Oil, add Bay Leaf, Cinnamon Stick, Green Cardamom, Whole Cloves and Peppercorns. Roast for few seconds.
- Add ¼ cup Cashew pieces and roast until golden.
- Add Onions, Turmeric Powder and a little Salt. Mix, cover and cook for 3 minutes, stirring in between.
- While Onions are cooking…
- Add Cauliflower, Green Peas, Carrots, a little Salt, ½ cup water in a microwave safe bowl. Cover and microwave for 3 minutes, stir and an additional 2 minutes. Remove veggies and water into a separate bowl.
- Add Ginger, Green Chilies and Garlic to the Onions and cook for 2-3 additional minutes or until golden brown. Turn off stove and allow mixture to cool.
- In the same microwave safe bowl as above, add Potatoes and a little salt and mix well. Add ¼ cup water, cover and microwave for 3 minutes, stir and an additional 2 minutes. Remove potatoes and water and add to the other cooked veggies.
- In the same microwave safe bowl, add Green Beans and a little salt and mix. Add ¼ cup water, cover and cook for 3 minutes, stir and an additional 2 minutes.
- Grind cooled Onion mixture into a fine paste with approx ¼ cup water (or more if necessary).
- Return onion paste back to pan and cook until the Oil separates. Stir continuously.
- Add in Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder and Red Chili Powder. Add ¼ cup water to help the dry spices mix well.
- Add cubed Paneer and mix.
- Add Tomatoes, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add Evaporated Milk and mix.
- Reduce heat to low and add beaten yogurt slowly while mixing. Allow mixture to come to a boil.
- Add cooked vegetables with the water from cooking. Mix well. Add additional water to get to your desired consistency. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in Cilantro and mix well.
- Garnish with roasted cashews and raisins from before.
- Serve hot with chapati, naan, or rice.