Recipe type: Curries
Daal Makhani has a lot of different names. It is also known as Kaali (Black) Daal or Maa ki Daal. It is a again a very typical dhabba dish and has a fantastic flavor. An all time classic party dish.
- Whole Urad Daal – 1 cup
- Kidney Beans – ¼ cup
- Water – 3 cups
- Onion – ½, medium (chopped)
- Garlic – 1 tsp (minced)
- Ginger – 1 tsp (minced)
- Green Chili – to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Yogurt – 2 tbsp (well beaten)
- Heavy Whipping Cream – 3 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Tomato – 1, medium (diced)
- Wash well and soak the Daal and Kidney Beans (Rajma) overnight in the 3 cups of water.
- Cook the soaked Daal/Rajma in a pressure cooker along with the water.
- To that add in Garam Masala, Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder, Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, Onions, Green Chili, Salt, Ginger and Garlic.
- Mix well, close and give it 3 whistles and then lower flame and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and let the pressure release on its own.
- Carefully open the cooker. Stir the Daal and make sure it is soft and cooked well.
- Put it on low heat and allow it to come to another boil.
- Add in well-beaten Yogurt and Cream.
- Allow it to keep cooking on low flame.
- Meanwhile take a small skillet and on medium heat, heat Oil.
- Once it is hot, add in the Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
- Add in the Tomatoes and cook a little (be careful not to overcook)
- Add to the Daal and give a gentle mix.
- Garnish with a spoon of Cream and a dab of Butter. Serve 4-6.