How to make Aloo Matar (Potatoes with Peas) – Indian Cuisine
Recipe type: Curries
We recently showed you how to make Punjabi Masala (in bulk). Here is a super fast Indian recipe for Aloo Matar (Potaotes with Green Peas) you can make using your pre-made masala. Let your imagination run wild…substitute any vegetable and create yet another delicious variation.
- Potatoes – 4 medium, ½ inch cubed
- Frozen Green Peas – 16 oz packet
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Punjabi Masala - ½ cup (1/2 sandwich bag)
- Chaat Masala – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Water – 1½ cups
- Cilantro – finely chopped for garnishing
- Heat Oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add Turmeric Powder and Punjabi Masala. Mix well.
- Add Potatoes and stir to coat masala.
- Add Salt, Red Chili Powder, Chaat Masala and Water. Mix well.
- Close pressure cooker and cook until 1 whistle sounds. Turn off stove and allow the pressure from the cooker to come down.
- Open pressure cooker and add Green Peas. Adjust salt and other spices as necessary.
- Cook until Green Peas are no longer raw.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with chapati or rice.
- Serves 6
1. Less water can be added if you don’t require a lot of gravy. 2. The same preparation can be done without a pressure cooker. Cooking time may be longer.