Kande Ki Subzi (Onion Subzi) – Rajasthani Cuisine
Recipe type: Curries
Our humble homage the great foods of Rajasthan. Rajasthan is known for it’s color – in food, clothes, music and art. This Kande Ki Subzi is just as colorful with such a wonderful rustic flavor that has just got to be paired with Bajra Ki Roti and it is sure to transport you to the rural, rustic and beautiful Rajasthan. Enjoy our love for Rustic and colorful India.
- Onions – 2 lbs (approx 1 kg), sliced
- Oil -2 tbsp
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Ginger – 1 tsp , finely ground
- Garlic – 1 tsp, finely ground
- Green Chillies – to taste
- Yogurt – ½ cup
- Water – ½ cup + ½ cup
- Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Paprika – to taste
- In a pan, heat Oil and Ghee on medium flame.
- Once the Oil is hot, add in the Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
- Add Ginger, Garlic and Green Chillies and cook till the Ginger and Garlic get a little color.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix Yogurt with ½ cup of Water. Remove lumps.
- Add spices to the Yogurt/Water mix – Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder & Salt. Mix well.
- Lower temerature of the flame and add in the Asafoetida.
- Add in the Yogurt/Water mixture while stirring continuously.
- Keep mixing and stirring till the Oil floats on top of the mixture (approx 3-5 minutes).
- Add in the Sliced Onions and mix well.
- Add another ½ cup of Water to the bowl and add in that water to the pan as well.
- Increase the flame to a medium high and allow the Onions to cook.
- Add in Paprika or additional Red Chili Powder to give the dish a great color. Good time to do a taste-test.
- Mix and allow the Onions to cook for approx 15 min till the moisture has been absorbed.
- Serve hot with some Bajra Roti or Chapatis or Naan.
1. If you are sensitive to the sharp flavor of the Onions, try using milder white onions instead of the Red onions.