Kashmiri mushroom curry
Recipe type: Curries
Looking for interesting, healthy ways to increase your vegie intake? Do it Indian style with this bright and spicy mushroom curry.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds (see note)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon garam masala (see note, p76)
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 green chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled, grated
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 500g button mushrooms, thickly sliced
- steamed basmati rice, thick plain yoghurt and coriander leaves, to serve
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add coriander seeds and cook until sizzling. Add onion, ground coriander, cumin, peppercorns, cardamom, garam masala, turmeric, chilli, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is soft and mixture is aromatic.
- Add tomatoes, mushrooms and 2 teaspoons salt. Stir until well combined. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Spoon curry over rice. Top with yoghurt and coriander. Serve.