Mango Spinach Dal - Mamidikaya Palakura Pappu
Recipe type: Curries
Spinach and mango is a very good combination. Here, toor dal is cooked till soft and mango is chopped up and pressure cooked as well. Oil is tempered with spices and spinach is briefly fried before adding cooked toor dal and mango. The dal is boiled for couple of minutes and served with steamed rice and dollop of ghee.
- Spinach 2 Cups Packed
- Raw Mango 1 Small
- Toor Dal 1 Cup
- Garlic 4 cloves
- Green Chiles 4
- Turmeric Powder a big pinch
- Salt to taste
- For Talimpu:
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Broken Dried Red Chiles 4
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Wash toor dal under fresh water to remove any dirt.
- Peel, remove pit and chop raw mango into small cubes.
- Remove stems, wash and slice the green chiles.
- Place washed dal in a vessel and pour 3 cups of water.
- Place chopped mango in a vessel along with green chiles and pour around quarter cup of water.
- Pressure cook both the dal and the mango at the same time but in different vessels for 3 whistles.
- Wash and roughly chop spinach leaves.
- Peel and lightly mash the garlic cloves.
- Heat oil in a small pan, add all talimpu ingredients in order along with garlic cloves.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add spinach, turmeric powder and salt.
- Fry till spinach leaves leave water and wilt.
- Then stir in cooked toor dal and cooked mango.
- Cook on low flame for around 3 minutes.
- Serve spinach leaves mango dal with steamed rice and crispy papad.
Make sure to cook the dal and raw mango well. Suggestions: Make sure dal is perfectly cooked before adding cooked mango for dal doesn’t cook once mango is added. Add fresh chopped green chiles to tempering for more spice. Variations: Alternatively, mango pieces and toor dal can be cooked separately in a sauce pot with boiling water. Chopped onion can also be added along with the tempering.