Methi Malai Mater
Recipe type: Curries
Methi Malai Mater is a rich and flavorful Indian vegetable dish. The Methi, or Fenugreek Leaves give a wonderful aroma and unique taste to compliment the sweetness of the peas and cream. Try this delicious recipe and enjoy it with chapati, naan or plain white rice.
- Fenugreek Leaves – 1 bunch
- Frozen Peas – 16 oz (1/2 kg)
- Heavy Whipping Cream – 1 cup (or to taste)
- Evaporated Milk – 5 oz can (147 ml)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Whole Dry Red Chilies – to taste
- Ginger – 1 Tbsp, minced
- Onion – ½ medium, chopped
- Tomato – 1 medium, chopped
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Wash Fenugreek Leaves well, remove roots and chop finely.
- Sprinkle salt over Fenugreek Leave, mix well and set aside 15-20 minutes
- Heat Oil in a medium pan on medium heat.
- Add Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle for 10-15 secs.
- Add in Dry Red Chili (break the chili in half if you like it spicy).
- Add Turmeric Powder and immediately, add in Onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Ginger, mix and cook until Onions are a light golden color.
- Add Tomatoes, mix and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add Green Peas, Coriander Powder, Garam Masala, Red Chili Powder and Salt. Mix well, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Be sure to stir in between to prevent sticking.
- Squeeze out salt water from Fenugreek Leaves and add it to the peas.
- Cover and cook until Peas and Fenugreek Leaves are cooked (3-6 minutes).
- Add in Heavy Whipping Cream and Evaporated Milk, mix well and bring to a boil.
- Serve hot with Chapati, Naan or Rice.