Sweet and Sour Beetroot
Recipe type: Curries
You may have enjoyed Beetroot (aka red beet or beets) in salads but here’s your chance to make them a bigger part of your meal. With this simple recipe, you can enjoy Sweet and Sour Beetroot subzi. Beautiful color, numerous health benefits, unique flavor – perfect!
- Beetroot – 1 lb (1/2 kg), peeled and diced
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – pinch
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Green Chilies – to taste, finely chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Tamarind Concentrate – 2 tsp or to taste
- Water – 1 cup, heated
- Jaggery – 1 to 2 Tbsp (to taste)
- Heat Oil in a medium pan on medium heat.
- Add Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
- Add Asafoetida, Curry Leaves and Green Chilies. Stir.
- Add Beetroot and Salt and mix well.
- Mix Tamarind Concentrate with hot water to dissolve.
- Add Tamarind Water into the Beets. Mix well, cover and cook until tender.
- Sprinkle Jaggery and mix well.
- Serve hot with chapati or roti.