Mixed Vegetable Sagu
Recipe type: Curries
Mixed vegetable sagu is a popular dish that can be had in most parts of south india. This versatile side dish goes well with puris, dosas, aappam, and even rice! if in a hurry, you can whip it up in a jiffy using readymade sagu masala that is available from various brands in most supermarkets. For best results, ensure that the vegetables are cooked just right – they should neither be crunchy nor too mushy.
- For The Dry Powder Masala(makes Approx. ½ Cup)
- 2 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- 2 to 3 green chillies , roughly chopped
- 4 to 5 peppercorns (kalimirch)
- 2 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 12 mm ( ½”) stick cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 cloves (laung / lavang)
- 4 tbsp freshly grated coconut
- Other Ingredients
- 1 tbsp ghee or any other refined oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 1 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1 whole dry kashmiri red chilli , broken into pieces
- ½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 7 to 8 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped mixed vegetables
- ( potato , french beans ,
- green peas
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp sagu masala powder , recipe above
- 2 tbsp fried cashewnuts (kaju) for the garnish
- For the dry powder masala
- Heat a small pan and dry roast the urad dal on a medium flame, while stirring continuously till it turns golden brown in colour. Keep aside.
- When cool, add all the other ingredients and blend in a mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- How to proceed
- Heat the ghee/ oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, red chillies, asafoetida and curry leaves, mix well and sauté on a medium flame, while stirring continuously till the dal turns light brown in colour.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame, while stirring continuously till they turn translucent.
- Add the mixed vegetables, turmeric powder, salt and 1¼ cups of water, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 12 to 15 minutes or till the vegetables are tender, stirring once in between.
- Add the prepared powder masala, mix gently and simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve hot garnished with fried cashewnuts.