Recipe type: Curries
This is a vegetarian version of the famous goan dish. I tried it with mushroom. It is a spicy dish cooked with a paste of red chillies, peppercorns, vinegar, cardamoms and other spices.
- 250 gms mushrooms (khumbh)
- 2 sliced onions
- a few curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 4 to 5 garlic (lehsun) cloves
- 8 to 10 whole dry kashmiri red chillies
- 10 peppercorns (kalimirch)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 cardamoms
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- Grind the peppercorns, dry red chillies, cardamoms, garlic and cummin seeds with the vinegar into a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute the onions and curry leaves till light brown.
- Now add the ground paste and turmeric powder and saute till it leaves the sides of the pan.
- Add the mushroom, salt and 1 cup water and cook, covered till the moisture is reduced and done.
- Serve, garnished with coriander.